My United Airlines Boeing 737-800 MOC

Fresh off the assembly line (my desk) is the Boeing 737-800 in the United Gold livery. Weeks of work and meticulous detailing have payed off, I am proud to say that I have completed my first ever LEGO airplane MOC. What's more is I have put this incredible model up on LEGO Ideas for LEGO fans and aviation nerds alike to vote for.

Pledge your support here: United Airlines 737-800



Datasheet:

Completion date: 7/27/21
Hours of work: ~36 hours over 2-2 1/2 weeks
Scale: 1/80
Part count: estimated 1400
Dimensions: Wingspan of 48 studs, length of 55 studs, and a height of 17 studs


The Plane
The Boeing 737 Next Generation, commonly abbreviated as 737NG, or 737 Next Gen, is a narrow-body aircraft powered by two jet engines and produced by Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Launched in 1993 as the third generation derivative of the Boeing 737, it has been produced since 1997 and is an upgrade of the 737 Classic (−300/-400/-500) series.
It features a redesigned wing with a larger area, a wider wingspan, greater fuel capacity, and higher maximum takeoff weight (MTOW). It is equipped with CFM International CFM56-7 series engines and a glass cockpit and features upgraded and redesigned interior configurations. It has a longer range and larger variants than its predecessor. The series includes four models, the −600/-700/-800/-900, with seating between 108 and 215 passengers.


The Model
Based on the second longest variant of the Boeing 737, this MOC was meticulously sculpted down to the last detail. Featuring functioning landing gear, my 737-800 can fully support itself with its own six wheels, as well as leave enough ground clearance for the iconic 737 flat engines. To further maintain accuracy, I created custom decals for the United Airlines logos, as well as the registration number, N0937 (flip the numbers upside down for a fun easter egg), and the tiny American flags. For transportation purposes, the entire plane can be broken down into six pieces (nose, mid section, two outer wings, tail, vertical stabilizer). Also included is a miniature pushback tug, ready to assist the aircraft in leaving the terminal (said aircraft does not roll due to scale, you have to use your imagination).

By far the hardest part of building this 737 was recreating the proper wing sweep and dihedral with only a six stud wide body to house the wingbox. However, perseverance payed off, and both the wings and horizontal stabilizers have the proper angles.



As stated above my 737-800 splits into six main sections for transportation and, if needed, the horizontal stabilizers and engines can be removed.

It's a bit big for my photo setup :)

The aforementioned pushback tug, while not being based on any specific real-world vehicle, takes inspiration from classic towbar tugs, most notably the TUG Technologies aircraft tug.



This model has been an absolute blast building and one of my favorite MOCs to date. If you like what you see here, then please consider supporting my United Airlines Boeing 737-800 on LEGO Ideas.

Support me here: United Airlines 737-800


Special thanks to:
-My grandparents for sending parts
-Jack Carleson (BigPlanes-Customs) for inspiring me to build this model

Comments

  1. Hi, this build is so amazing!! I was wondering if you possibly made instructions/list of pieces to go with it? I really want to make this myself as this is one of the best Lego Boeing planes I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks taa356! Unfortunately I do not have instructions or a parts list for this model, however, I do have several other aircraft in the works which may be getting instructions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monthly Workshop Report #3, August 2021

Monthly Workshop Report #2, July 2021

Camp Nou revealed!